Enhance the look of your vehicle with a set of custom alloy wheels! Available in a vast assortment of styles and sizes, custom wheels are popular for cars, trucks and SUVs. In addition to improving vehicle appearance, custom wheels provide a stable foundation for tires, paired with high quality tires can impact ride, handling, and overall performance, improving a vehicle in a number of ways.
One of the most important attributes of a wheel is the material it’s made of. The material will determine the price, the weight, and the durability of your new wheels.
Wheel Manufacturing Processes
- Steel Wheels: Are typically pressed from sheet metal then welded together. This is part of why steel wheels are so limited in design. The steel is then painted and hidden beneath wheel covers or hubcaps.
- Cast Wheels: Aluminum wheels are manufactured through a process of pouring molten aluminum into a mold. The shape of the wheel is formed through a process of gravity or pressure casting.
- Machined Wheels: The machining process combines casting, heating, spinning, and precise pressurization to fill a mold with molten aluminum and shape the wheel.
- Forged Wheels: The forging process takes a solid piece of aluminum and molds the wheel through high heat and extreme pressure. The result is a light, dense, and strong wheel.
The right set of wheels depends on vehicle characteristics and desired ride quality. When choosing wheels for your car, truck, or SUV, consider the following:
- Size: Various wheel sizes and weights hold different performance characteristics. If you plan on upgrading your current wheel size, be sure to consider the maximum wheel size allowance on your vehicle.
- Weight: Wheel weight impacts vehicle performance. Heavier wheels increase braking distance and reduce handling, while lighter wheels will improve maneuverability and braking performance.
- Terrain: Where do you drive most often? Wheels should be selected based on their primary function.
Everyone’s criteria for buying wheels is different, so we urge you to contact us with your questions or concerns. Our service staff is comprised of wheel and rim experts who remain on the cutting edge of wheel style, configuration, and performance.
For the best wheel buying experience around, contact us today.